Thursday, March 5, 2009

TRAIL STREET with Randolph Scott

This rarely seen 1947 Randolph Scott western with Robert Ryan and Gabby Hayes will be airing on TCM next Thursday (3-12) at 9:15am (PT).  Randy stars as Marshal Bat Masterson.  I have never seen this movie and am looking forward to seeing him with Robert Ryan.  Randy and Gabby actually appeared together in five other oaters....WILD HORSE MESA in 1932;  BADMAN'S TERRITORY in 1946; RETURN OF THE BAD MEN (also with Ryan) and ALBEQUERQUE in 1948 and THE CARIBOO TRAIL in 1950.  Randy and Ryan had worked together before TRAIL STREET in the WW II action flick BOMBARDIER in 1943. 

Maybe it's just my imagination but it seems quite a few of Randy's obscure westerns are finally seeing the light of day.   Hmmmm.....I wonder if it has anything to do with all the publicity surrounding the recent release of Randy's Budd Boetticher westerns on dvd?

6 comments:

Tom B. said...

Same thing occured to me while reading your post. The box set has brought out some of his more obscure films which is always good to see happen.

Anonymous said...

I never seen this one either.I watched two days ago Buffalo Stampede with ray hatton and harry carey and randy.This might have been but I don't know,bob ryan's first western.Gabby I know finished up feature westerns in 1950 and switched to t.v.If they do well,if they sale...they will come.More dvds with that actor or that series...usually.

Chris Casey said...

I saw TRAIL STREET many many moons ago---when I was just a wee lad. But, I don't remember much about it. I think there is something to your idea about why all the more obscure Scott Westerns are popping up now, jangoz.
But, you know...just a small number of years ago the situation was somewhat reverse. The Boetticher/Scott films were the obscure ones and you could find any number of other Scott Westerns on TV or even on DVD. Titles like CARSON CITY, THE STRANGER WORE A GUN, HANGMAN'S KNOT, THE NEVADAN, A LAWLESS STREET, MAN IN THE SADDLE, TEN WANTED MEN, THE BOUNTY HUNTER, THE DOOLINS OF OKLAHOMA, and so on and so on---were easy to find on VHS, DVD, and on TV.

John Crummett said...

I think the box set definitely lead to the airing of Randy's and Budd's rarely seen Warner Bros. western WESTBOUND. You'd think there'd be a dvd release of this one fairly soon....it was never on video.

Chris Casey said...

You are absolutely right about WESTBOUND, amigo! That is one I would love to have on DVD!! I haven't seen it in eons, either.

Tim said...

Of course, Westbound has now been released but only on the Warner Archive label. It's good to have it available, but not on a DVD-R, ffs!